Thursday, August 20, 2026
HomeLifestyleSeason over for five players as Sydney take action over alleged sexual...

Season over for five players as Sydney take action over alleged sexual assault

Sydney have stood down five players from selection for the remainder of the season as the Swans deal with sexual assault allegations that have rocked the club.

Several Swans players are under investigation over an alleged sexual assault at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne in the early hours of Monday morning.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Sydney Swans suspend five players for rest of season

Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today Arrow

Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordon and Riley Bice have all assisted police with their initial investigation on Monday.

7NEWS.com.au is not suggesting those four players are being investigated by police, only that they are assisting with enquiries.

The Swans on Wednesday morning revealed the four players, and Nick Blakey, have been stood down for the remainder of the season.

Blakey was among the group of players to stay in Melbourne, but his manager has denied his client has spoken to police.

Jordon, Heeney, Warner and Bice will all miss the remainder of the season.
Jordon, Heeney, Warner and Bice will all miss the remainder of the season. Credit: Getty

“Sydney Swans players Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner will not be considered for selection for the remainder of the 2026 AFL season,” the club said in a statement.

“The AFL is supportive of the club’s sanctions.

“We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and the actions we have taken today are independent of this.”

Sydney stressed the sanctions were independent of the police investigation but said it was “appropriate to take firm action” against the “serious breach of expected club behaviour and standards”.

Sydney’s board held an emergency meeting on Tuesday night to decide the penalties.

The players returned to Sydney on Tuesday after staying back in Melbourne on Monday to assist police with their investigation into the alleged assault.

Victoria Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.

The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG. That victory locked in second place on the AFL ladder and a home qualifying final in three weeks.

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich on Monday afternoon confirmed several players had been involved in an “alleged incident”.

On Tuesday morning, coach Dean Cox briefly spoke to media outside of Sydney’s headquarters for the first time since the news broke.

“Obviously extremely disappointed with what’s happened, and understand the questions and we’ll update as we gather more information,” Cox said.

On Tuesday night, AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon released a statement calling for more respect around the sexual assault allegations.

The police investigation and club penalties relate to events that occurred early on Monday morning at East Melbourne’s Pullman Hotel.

Dillon said the allegations and the conduct of the Swans players were “deeply concerning”.

“While the matter remains under police investigation, it raises broader issues for our game and our responsibilities as a sport,” Dillon said. “The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected.”

Dillon took aim at widespread commentary about what the allegations would mean for the Swans, who are guaranteed second spot and two home finals.

“Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season,” Dillon said.

“Our first question should not be what this means for a football club. It should be whether our actions match the standards we stand for and the community expects of us.

“As a sport, and as an industry, we are clear about the standards we expect and the values we stand for and the need to uphold them.

“Being clear about our standards also means being prepared to act when those standards are not met.”

— with AAP

If you or someone you know needs help, contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732), or Sexual Assault Counselling Australia on 1800 211 028, the WA Sexual Assault Resource Centre on 6458 1828 or 1800 199 888 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Source

RELATED ARTICLES
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments